Sunday, June 15, 2008

William Wordsworth on kittens

I hate that I am just posting poems, but I'm horribly overdue and I just got back from camping this weekend and I need to get to bed. Hopefully I can pump two more interesting posts out tomorrow. :-)

Anyways, here is another of my favorite cat poems. I'm only including part of it in this post; you can read the whole poem here.

--But the Kitten, how she starts,
Crouches, stretches, paws, and darts;
First at one and then it's fellow
Just as light and just as yellow;
There are many now--now one--
Now they stop; and there are none--
What intenseness of desire
In her upward eye of fire!
With a tiger-leap half way
Now she meets the coming prey,
Lets it go as fast, and then
Has it in her power again:
Now she works with three or four,
Like an Indian Conjuror;
Quick as he in feats of art,
Far beyond in joy of heart.
Were her antics play'd in the eye
Of a thousand Standers-by,
Clapping hands with shout and stare,
What would little Tabby care
For the plaudits of the Crowd?
Over happy to be proud,
Over wealthy in the treasure
Of her own exceeding pleasure!


This post brought to you by office furniture

No comments: