Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dorm pets

My husband sent me this article from CNN today on pets and dorm life.
As university residence halls seek to transition into more homey environments -- with additions like full kitchens and single-stall bathrooms -- pet ownership is still forbidden for the majority of dorm residents.

But several universities, including MIT, have now added some pets to the "acceptable" list of dorm possessions...

Other schools have jumped on the four-footed bandwagon: Stephen's College, a women's college in Columbia, Montana, allows for many household pets, including dogs, provided that they are vaccinated and under forty pounds.

During the four years I was in college, I did not have a cat either with me or at my parents' house. I really missed being able to snuggle with kitties! I would have loved to be able to have a cat in the dorm with me.

An excerpt from later in the article:
Sophomore Kara Brown, who suffers from asthma, said it is a bad idea to allow pets in residence halls. "I wouldn't love it if cats were allowed just because being anywhere near them makes me sick ... My breathing tubes start to close," Brown said. "I also feel like people usually have too much going on to really take care of a pet, especially now in college when you are already doing so much that takes a lot of effort."


I thought she made a really good point, and as much as I love cats I am inclined to agree with her. I would have loved a kitty to snuggle with, but in reality I think my life in college was too hectic for me to have properly taken care of an animal. Animals need attention, and when you're busy studying in the library or hanging out with friends, it's hard to give enough attention.

Of course, some people would probably do fine. I was very busy in college, but not everyone is. I definitely knew of people who spent a lot of time in their rooms and probably would have been very responsible pet owners. However, I do think those types of people are more rare than the typical college student.

Thoughts? Would you support pet-friendly dorms? Or would you be opposed to them?

online trading

1 comment:

usacomp2k3 said...

I'll just say I think it's a bad idea, both for the animals and for the neighbors. (smell, sound, allergies, etc)