Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stopover in Savannah

Before we headed down to my parents' house in Orlando for Christmas, my mom warned me that one of the roads along the route had some emergency construction needed and was closed down to one lane. Since it was two days before Christmas, I anticipated a lot of traffic, and the thought of only having one lane was not very pleasant! I looked at alternate routes, and realized that if we went a different highway along the coast, we would go through Savannah, GA, which is one of our favorite cities. Because this detour would make the trip a bit longer, we decided to leave after my husband finished work, drive to Savannah, stay the night, and then finish our trip the next day.

Since we had the cats with us, I needed to find a hotel that allowed pets. I found this site, BringFido, incredibly helpful. They had a nice map with hotels, plus the costs and reviews. I used the map to find a hotel that was close to the highway since we were just staying overnight and not really spending much time in Savannah. We ended up staying in La Quinta Inn. The price was great, and there was no pet fee! I was skeptical – seemed too good to be true – but the accommodations were pleasant. The sink area was even big enough to put the catbox without it getting in the way, and keeping it on the tile flooring. (Big thumbs up!) I would recommend this hotel to other pet owners traveling in Savannah.

The kitties did great in their first time in a hotel room. One thing I loved – the beds came all the way to the ground, so they couldn't hide under them. Very useful. :-) I'm sure they appreciated the break from being in the car, and settled quite well. (By the way, this hotel review is completely unsolicited.)

If you're traveling with your pet, I highly recommend BringFido for any information you might need.

* This post is a completely unsolicited opinion about my experience with BringFido and La Quinta Inn.

No comments: