Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dog fights

So my neighbors have a weird setup in their backyard. They have a raised deck (completely separate from the house) where they keep two dogs - an unneutered male pit bull and a husky. The dogs can't get off the deck, and it just seems a cruel way to keep one's dogs! That was a red strike against the house for us, but we decided to buy it anyways.

Today I arrived at the house in the afternoon to hear lots of growling and yelping. I ran to the backyard and looked into my neighbor's yard. The dogs were fighting - the pit bull was on top of the husky, and the husky was yelping. They did this for a while, then stopped for a while. This happened three separate times. The last time I was getting really concerned. The husky was bleeding from the neck, which is where the pit bull had sunk his teeth. The husky was tied up, and was trying really hard to get away from the other dog.

My heart broke for the husky. I decided to call animal services, but they were closed for the day.

I don't want to make enemies of our neighbors right after we move in, but I can't ignore fighting dogs like that. :-( With all the dog fighting and pit bulls that are in the news, I definitely don't want that next door to me.

So we'll see what happens. If I see blood again, I will call animal services. Maybe next time it will be during the hours they're open!

No comments: